The North Bend Eagle

 

More Scott's Lake images


Posted 8/18/22


Boaters set out on Scott's Lake about 1905, while founder J.P. Scott was still running the resort. The bridge in the background appears to be a little longer than the one in later years. From the Morse Bluff Centennial History Book.


Brick cookstoves or grills were scattered around the grounds for roasting marshmallows or hot dogs, as shown here in a picture from the 1940s. Note the cabin in the background. Courtesy Diane Murphy


It's a little fuzzy, but behind these 1940s ice skaters can be seen the Scott's Lake dance hall/pavilion (white), the bath house to the right of that, and in the distance the ticket booth and bridge. Courtesy Diane Muprhy


This fisherman shows off his catch in front of the bathhouse along with one of the benches that were near the lake. Courtesy Diane Murphy



A group of men toast themselves from behind the Scott's Lake bar. Courtesy Diane Murphy


Scott's Lake owner and proprietor John Vopalensky sits at one of the tables in the bar/restaurant area. Note the promotional poster for a dance partially shown in the upper right. Courtesy Diane Murphy


The Scott’s Lake cabin, shown above in the ‘40s and below in 2022, is believed to be build in 1925 when Scott’s Lake was under the management of J.F. Bauer. It is the lone surviving remnant of the heyday of Scott’s Lake. The cabin has undergone major remodeling to make it winter-proof, but you can see the same roof line. Top courtesy Diane Murphy, bottom Jason Heitritter


The bridge into the Scott's Lake resort was destroyed by a flood in the spring of 1960's. For years visitors and revelers had to pay a dime admission upon crossing the bridge to the north side of the lake. Courtesy Diane Murphy


This aerial shot looking northeast shows the east end of Scott’s Lake. The pavilion with attached bar on the right side can be seen toward the top. On the left side is the Irwin and Ruth Vopalensky home. On the middle right is the old Morse Bluff livery barn that was moved from town to the farm. Scott’s Lake Road can be seen in the lower right corner. This picture was taken some time after the 1960 flood took out the bridge. Courtesy Diane Murphy

<<Back to the story

<<Back to the front page