The North Bend Eagle


Scott winning battle with COVID-19

by Nathan Arneal
Published 5/20/20

It started with the Philadelphia Eagles. Two and a half weeks later, Clay Scott is starting the breathe normally again.

Scott, 44, is emerging from a battle with COVID-19 that kept him isolated in his bedroom for two weeks. The rest of his family kept themselves isolated in different rooms of the house on their acreage north of North Bend.

Window viewClay Scott peers out his bedroom window, the only glimpse of the outside world he’s gotten in two weeks while fighting COVID-19.

“If you see someone coughing, take it seriously,” Scott told the Eagle between coughs during a phone interview. “It’s not something you want to mess around with, I can tell you that much. It’s definitely out there.”

His case is an example of community spread of the coronavirus disease. He has no idea where he would have contracted it from, and he doesn’t know anyone else who has it.

Prior to getting sick, he was trying to live life as normally as possible while taking precautions to avoid large groups and non-essential travel. While he and wife Summer continued to work, their three kids at home haven’t left the farm since school stopped meeting in mid-March. A little more than a week before Clay got sick, he had stopped going to work at Frontier Coop because of a knee injury. He had an appointment to get the knee looked at on Thursday, April 30.

He wouldn’t make the appointment.

That night, he couldn’t sleep. He felt hot. Then cold. Then hot again. Weird, random thoughts kept entering his mind.

“For some odd reason I couldn’t get Philadelphia Eagles football out of my head,” Scott said. “I’m sitting there trying to convince myself, why can I not get this out of my head and just go to sleep?”

He felt better the next day, Friday, May 1, and went about his normal business. That night the chills and restlessness returned.

“I told Summer, man, something’s wrong with me,” he said. “I don’t know what.”

Of course, in the middle of a worldwide pandemic, COVID-19 crossed his mind, but the symptoms didn’t match up. He didn’t have a cough. His body felt fine.

That weekend, the body aches kicked in. Everything hurt. On Sunday, one of the first COVID-19 telltale markers showed up as the Scott family sat down to eat.

“It hit me out of the blue,” Scott said. “Something’s weird here. I can’t smell dinner. I just have this weird, almost chemically smell in my nose. I was like, something went haywire here. I can’t even taste what we’re eating.”

That was the first red flag that he likely was coming down with the disease that has shut down society around the world.

That night, a headache struck and it wouldn’t go away for almost two weeks. It was Tuesday, May 5, when the coughing began.

“I told Summer, I don’t know exactly what’s going on for sure, but I’m going to have to do something,” Scott said. “I was pretty convinced that I had it.”

He called his doctor’s office and answered a bunch of questions, but he was told he didn’t qualify for a COVID-19 test. By now, Summer was sleeping on the couch as Clay was isolated in their first-story bedroom. The kids were not allowed outside their own bedrooms except to get food before returning upstairs to eat it.

The next few days were the worst.


Read the full story in the print or e-edition.

<<Back to the COVID-19 page

<<Back to the front page